Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday Update: books, tv, sneak peeks


Last Night, I got my 24 fix after 2 years. But it wasn't nearly enough of the show. I don't really remember the last season and this was a short, in between seasons update. It was heartwrenching, but very different from the usual episodes.

Over the weekend (really on my day off on Friday) I finally finished the Hunger Games
which I started earlier in the week and was extremely hard to put down - very problematic when you're require to be at work

It's set in a world where the government reminds the districts who attempted, but failed to overthrow the government, that they are in supreme control. They set up an elaborate game where two children from each district must travel to the Capital and fight for their survival while the whole worlds watches the Hunger Games. There is only one winner in these game, it's either kill or be killed.
In an unlucky drawing, Katniss's sister is chosen, but Katniss volunteers to take her place. The other chosen one from district 12 is a boy Katniss owes a debt. He once threw her some burnt bread, when she and her family were in desperate times. Now they're training together. Katniss has been secretly hunting for years to feed her family, which gives her an edge when the talent judging begins.
These games are not just fatal - they're also entertainment. The contestants have sponsors based on their rate for survival. The sponsors can get them anything they need during the games. Katniss and Peeta know this, and they're starting to play a game to gain more favor points with the audience. But is the game turning into reality for one of them? And how will it help them in the long run, when they come face to face in the game? Who will be the ultimate winner?

I'd heard many people (mostly librarians) talking about this book - which prompted me to read it. And I'm ever so glad I did. It's amazing, one of my favorite books all year. I simply can't wait for the next one.


Another book I'm interested in reading. (comes out in June)

Waiting to get our hands on Envy after the cliff hanger ending of Rumors?
simply check out this snippet in hopes that it will last you to January.


The 5th and last Jess Darling book comes out in April. But you can out find out a bit more here
while I'm interested in the ending, the last book disappointed me a bit. Still, I do want to find out what happens.

1 comment:

Janssen said...

I'm thrilled you enjoyed the Hunger Games. For some reason, I feel personally invested in its success.

Also, I love 24. . .what a terrific show.