Monday, January 26, 2009

Interview with Janette Rallison




1. What made you decide to write?
I’ve always loved to make up stories (some kids had imaginary friends, I had a whole city. Even then I thought big). I wrote a lot of stories while I was growing up but became especially fond of writing after I had my first child and realized that writing was way more fun than housework. When the choice was: should I clean the fridge out or should I write something, writing invariably won.

2. Where do you write best?
In Hawaii. Okay, maybe that’s not strictly true, but I’d like to try it for a novel or two. I’m one of those writers who need it to be quiet while I write. I don’t want music or other people around. I usually just whole up in my room with a laptop.


3. Is there a topic you’ve always wanted to write about?
I have a lot of fantasy ideas that thus far my publishers haven’t really wanted me to write. However, since My Fair Godmother came out and is doing really well, perhaps that will change and I’ll be able to do a few more fantasies.

4. What’s one book you wish you’d written?
I’m sure this happens to every writer—you have a great idea for a story but you’re working on other things and don’t get around to writing it, and then someone else writes it. I wanted to write a story about people from our world getting sucked into a magic book where they meet famous characters from older stories. Yeah, that’s pretty much Inkheart.


5. What was the last book you’ve read that you’ve been recommending to veryone?
Jessica Day George’s Princess of the Midnight Ball. It’s a retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses which was one of my favorite fairy tales growing up.

Oh, that just came into the Library today. It has a GORGEOUS cover. It's in my pile to read.

6. Do you use real events in your novels and if so, can you describe one?
Yeah, I use real events all of the time. A lot of the embarrassing moments that happen to my characters either happened to me or to one of my friends. Falling down the up escalator at the mall (Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Free Throws)—that was my friend, Jill. Getting into the wrong car in a parking lot (Fame, Glory and Other Things On My To Do List)—that was me, multiple times, actually. And driving through traffic with a psychotic cat (All’s Fair in Love, War, and High School) that was me too.

7. Your new book, My Fair Godmother, just came out. How did you think of such a unique idea?
When people know you’re a writer, you get asked to write all sorts of school talent show skits, camp skits etc. The idea for this story actually came about because I was asked to write a skit for my daughter’s church class. The theme was fractured fairy tales so I wrote a skit about a girl who wanted prince charming to take her to the prom and instead her “fair” godmother sent her back to the Middle Ages to be both Cinderella and Snow White. I thought it was such a cute idea that it would make a fun novel.

It is a fun novel - very unique and very funny. I talked about it here

8. Can you tell us a little bit about your next book coming out, Just One Wish?
In Just One Wish, Annika’s six-year-old brother is going in for surgery to get a brain tumor removed. He wants more than anything to meet his TV idol, Teen Robin Hood. After trying unsuccessfully to get a hold of the actor who plays Teen Robin Hood, Annika decides to drive to Hollywood and find him herself. She thinks if she can just explain the situation to him, he’ll come with her to see her brother. This proves more difficult than she imagined.

Looking Forward to it!

9. Name a celebrity, you’d love to have as a BFF
I’d love to have a comedian as a BFF because wouldn’t it be great to have someone who could always make you laugh? So I’m going to have to choose Kelsey Grammer. I think he’s hilarious.


10. Listing of your favorites:
Type of shoe: comfortable (I’m such a mom)
Candy: chocolate
Pizza topping: if it’s on a pizza, it’s good . . .
Genre of books: romantic comedies
Singer and/or Song: I’m eclectic where music is concerned. I like everything from classic to country
Restaurant: Mexican
TV show: Frasier reruns
color: purple

No comments: