Thursday, February 12, 2009

Chatting with Amy Goldman Koss


Welcome Amy!

1. What made you decide to write YA novels instead of picture books?
I got a whole lot more free paper so could write more. No. that's a lie. Paper is never free. Except when I used to steal it from my temp jobs... a crime for which I shall no doubt roast in the great by and by. Actually, a wonderful editor (Cindy Kane) suggested it, (that I write a novel, not steal paper) and although the idea of writing all those WORDS seemed intimidating and impossible.... I tried it and loved it. And (so far -- fourteen novels later) there has been no turning back.

2. Where do you write best? On paper. I've tried writing on cookie dough but it was so messy and fattening. Jello was even worse.
Laughing as I imagine that...

3. Is there a topic you’ve always wanted to write about? It's all about me. Thinly veiled, but all those girls and boys, bad and good in all my books are Me Me ME! So, in answer to your question -- I'd like to write a little more about myself.

4. What’s one book you wish you’d written? For the money: Harry Potter. For the story: The Little Prince. For the coolness factor: Maus.

5. What was the last book you’ve read that you’ve been recommending to everyone?
Freak Show by James St. James.


6. How do you get your ideas? Do you use real events in your novels and if so, can you describe one?
That sound is me shrugging. Each book comes at me from someplace different. THE GIRLS wrote itself, and I just did the typing. GOSSIP TIMES THREE was inspired by a fabulous fight between my daughter and her two best friends when two of them liked the same boy. I begged for weeks until they finally SOLD me their fight. SIDE EFFECTS was partly a revenge piece, getting back at people who said stupid things when my daughter was sick, and partly so there'd be a funny, realistic cancer survivor book out there for people who are not just looking for a good cry. POISON IVY was the result of many many hours procrastinating work on other books, talking legal "what ifs" with my lawyer brother on the phone.

All of these tales are great. I really like how the girls sold you their story - very cute! I LOVED Side Effect, because it is so different from other books on cancer.

7. What do you have coming up next? Poison Ivy just came out in paper back (buy it!) and Side Effects will be out in paper next year. (plan to buy it!) He or she who buys both is absolutely one hundred percent guaranteed a happy, healthy, sexy and successful life. For real! And if you buy them in hard cover you'll be fabulously rich and famous as well!

8. Name a celebrity, you’d love to have as a BFF
Jim Henson, creator of The Muppets, except that he's dead.



9. Listing if your favorites:
Type of shoe -- none
Candy --- dark chocolate and black licorice.
Pizza topping -- artichoke
Genre of books --- lots
Singer and/or Song -- too hard.
Restaurant -- all
TV show -- don't have TV but love to watch The Daily Show in hotels.
Color -- all

1 comment:

TinaFerraro said...

This interview was great fun. But no surprise. I had the pleasure of hanging with Amy in the stands during a little league baseball season, and what I remember far more than the action on the field was how she made me laugh.

Oh, yeah, and she writes great books, too...