Friday, June 26, 2009

Sarah Dessen

Last night, I got to meet Sarah Dessen! She was at RJ Julia's in CT - which is fabulous independent bookstore with books filling up every nook and cranny. They also have black and white photos hanging on the wall of all the authors who have visited the bookstore.

She read from her new book, did a Q and A, and then signed books.



In the Q and A, I was lucky enough to be called on. I asked the question I ask most authors - because I always want to know. What was the last book you read that you loved. She mentioned a memoir and also If I Stay. She also mentioned that she looks at writing as a party every day. Also when she's in the process of writing, she tends to think of her characters staying where she left them. "When I went on tour of Lock and Key, I remember just leaving Auden in the hallway and not being able to get back to her and thinking, Oh no, she's been stuck in that hallway for six weeks. She's probably really bored."


Luckily I was able to sneak in early for the signing line. While there, eavesdropping on people talking about books (Ally Carter mentioned), a woman behind me was talking about her writing. And it turned out, it was Natasha Friend. We're friends on facebook, so I ease my into that conversation. Before I know it, it's my turn. And Yes, I did squeal with glee. I met Sarah Dessen after all. And she was super nice. She posed for pictures, signed three books (one for a friend, one for the library, and of course one for me), and then it was sadly over. But I'll always have this:

I had already read the book as I couldn't wait a week!

I LOVED it, Here are my thoughts:
Auden's parents divorced and since then, she's become an insomniac. When she decides to visit her father, his new wife, and their new baby for the summer, she surprises everyone including herself. At first, she doesn't know what to do with herself. She hangs out during the day reading her textbooks, getting a head start of her college courses and at night she drives around the neighborhood. Then she offers to help Heidi (her step-mom) with her book keeping for the store. When she enters the pink shop, she almost dies. She can't imagine herself working here. She keeps to herself at first, but slowly starts answering questions from the girls who run the store. Auden meets Eli several times, but soon discovers that he has the same problem sleeping. So the two of them meet up and he shows her the real town. They start talking about Auden's lack of a childhood and he comes up with an idea to go on a quest and fulfill all the things she's never done - like ride a bike, have a food fight, and go bowling. Soon, they hang out every night. One night, Eli comes too close to Auden and her secrets and she bolts. Can she recover or has she lost the one friendship that matters most of all?

It's the story of a girl who's a perfectionist and has little time for anything else. A story the relates to everyone. A story you can feel. A story you can see perfectly in your mind. A story to share during the summer. It could very well be her best novel yet (though I'm still partial to Truth About Forever).

Check out the READ poster I made:



Check out my book trailer:


4 comments:

Lauren said...

How fantastic! I finished "Along for the Ride" last week and absolutely loved it. It was such a cute, relatable and fun book. It was also the first book i read of Dessen's, so I plan on picking up a few more. What a great little bookshop...and book signing!

Lori Calabrese said...

Oh I wish I could have made it! Sounds like it was so much fun! Glad you had a great time and thanks for sharing!

All the best,
Lori
www.loricalabrese.com

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

Sounds like a great time! I'm going to her signing in Chicago and can't wait!

jlarkin said...

Thanks for the info weeks back about where she was going to be...I was able to pick up 4 signed copies of her new book - one I'll be giving away on my blog! Watch for the contest soon...

http://blogs.ellingtonschools.org/larkin/