Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Catching Fire


IS FINALLY HERE.

I was lucky enough to know someone who received an ARC and she shared it with me. And it's SO good. I'm watching the videos over at Borders with Suzanne Collins.

I thought this book was excellent. In the beginning, Katniss deals with the fame of winning the games and the fallout from her fake relationship with Peeta. But it's not easy to let go of that relationship for personal reason (the nightmares at night) and the political reasons (their story is the reason they won the game). Nor it is easy for her friends at home - particularly Gale. She can't be seen in public with him too often and never emotionally involved. Instead, she's Peeta's girl...only she's not. And she's so confused about the two boys. Secretly she wants to start a rebellion and end the games. As she travels to each district for parades, she's aware of discontent in the districts and it's only a matter of time before a spark sets everything off and there's a full blown rebellion. However, President Snow's not happy with the ending of the games and he's made his position quite clear to Katniss. If he thinks going to make her marry Peeta and sit quietly while her friends suffer, he doesn't know Katniss. Before she can put any plan into action, the Hunger Game rules are announced. This year for the 75th anniversary, they will draw the contestants from the winners in each district.
Now Katniss and Peeta need a new plan - because they're going back again. This time they're each a bit smarter and craftier and they each have a hidden agenda. Can they outsmart the games a second time?

I loved this book and it did surpass most of my expectations. There were things I wish Katniss had seen earlier and that frustrated me. Plus the first part of the book, there wasn't much action, except her comparing her feelings towards Gale and Peeta. However, once the games were announced, I was glued to the edge of my seat. I can't even begin to guess what will happen next and I'm desperately waiting for the next installment.

2 comments:

jlarkin said...

I was lucky enough to get an ARC as well for our blog - LOVED this book too! Check out my review...

http://blogs.ellingtonschools.org/larkin/

Now I can't wait for Book Three!

The Obsessive Reader said...

La La La *plugging ears* Sorry! I don't want any spoilers. The books on its way. I can't wait to read it!