Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Review: Instructions for a Broken Heart

Jessa found her boyfriend entangled in the arms of another girl just before their school trip to Italy. Jessa thought the trip about be magically romantic, instead, Sean and Natalie barely come up for air. She can't believe it.

Instead of breathing in the Italy air, she's moping over her ex-boyfriend. Her BFF, who did not make the trip, sent along a packet of instructions with a mutual friend. Inside 20 envelopes are 20 reasons why Sean was not the boy for Jessa along with 20 things Jessa must do to break free from the moping, crying, and all around pity party.

At the first, the instructions seem to be working. She's crying her eyes out, starting to get angry, and thinking about all the times Sean was a jerk. However, she's also throwing a drink in Sean's face, reciting a rude limerick, and making a huge mistake with her teacher.

Jessa's beginning to think that the instructions might be getting her into more trouble than it's worth. Will her whole trip be a disaster, or can she salvage her experience? Will her heart heal?

My Thoughts: I liked this book - I loved the idea of the instructions. I loved how the relationship of Jessa and Sean was woven through the story along with the instructions. I'm torn between liking and really liking this one. From the back cover, it suggested a romance. I wish there had been more romance. I felt torn between a break up novel and a hasty romance.

I really loved Tyler - he was a great addition to the story.

There were scenes where the characters appeared so mature - and scenes where they were high school students again. I felt some of the more mature scenes were a stretch.

I love the inclusion of a book as central turning point for Jessa, although I must admit, I never understood Portrait of the artist as a Young Man.

I LOVED the descriptions of Italy, I soaked up all those scenes and wished I was there with Jessa.

Cover Thoughts: Cute!

Source: publisher

Stay Tuned tomorrow for an interview with the author!

No comments: