Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Chatting with Myra McEntire

Myra McEntire's here to chat with us. Her debut novel Hourglass comes out June 14th and it's amazing. I really enjoyed it. Everyone was buzzing about it and the buzz isn't wrong.

Welcome Myra and thanks for chatting with us!!!
What made you choose to write YA? I love the freshness of it – everything is new!

Where do you write best? In my office on rainy days.

How do you get your ideas? Do you use real events in your novels and if so, can you describe one? My mind is full of ideas! A real event, no, but a real town, yes. Ivy Springs is based on Franklin, Tennessee.

I've actually been there :)

How did you come up with your title? For a long time it was called THE ESTABLISHMENT. My agent and I knew it was wrong, but we couldn’t think of what was right. And then one day … poof.

Can you tell us a little bit about Hourglass?

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.

If you had your way, how many books will there be in the series? I think four. But I have spinoffs in mind.

Oh -that's EXCITING!!! I really Loved the book - if you missed it, read my review

What’s your favorite R&B song? Oldie: Try a Little Tenderness by Otis Redding. Modern: I really like Usher!

How did you come up with Friday in the Fort your awesome blog meme. Another writer suggested it!

What will you/did you do on your release day? I’m not sure yet. I didn’t think I was having a release party but I might be now!

What was the last book you’ve read that you’ve been recommending to everyone? There are lots of books coming up, but for books that are already out, Rachel Hawkins HEX HALL series.

Oh I LOVED these books! So looking forward to #3

Do you have a book crush?
Mr. Darcy. Oh, Mr. Darcy.
*swoons* YES

Do you have a favorite library experience? Sitting in the stacks choosing which Nancy Drew book I was going to re-read!

Love!

Are there any authors you’d love to meet? Definitely J.K. Rowling. I’d love to sit down and have a conversation with Holly Black. She’s so amazing when it comes to world building; I’d like to pick her brain!

Do you have a favorite literary quote? I can’t think of one!

Listing of your favorites:

Candy: Hot Tamales
Cake/Cupcake Flavor: Red Velvet Cake
Ice Cream: Cookie Dough
Pizza topping: Black olives and mushrooms
Genre of books: Young Adult! Paranormal and Sci-fi!
Singer and/or Song: I love Miles Davis everything.
Restaurant: A local place called Joey’s.
TV show /Movie: Doctor Who!
Color: Green
Shoe: Converse
Video Game: Mirror’s Edge

Thank you so much for having me!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

LinWash said...

I can hardly wait for this book to debut!

Jessica said...

Great interview...now I really want a red velvet cupcake...*drools*...anyway, loving the book so far!!