Thursday, September 29, 2011

Adult Review: Devil in Winter

Evangeline's tired of her family abusing her. She's tired of them telling her what to do. She certainly isn't going to marry her cousin. When she finds out his intentions, she takes matters into her own hands.

She shows up quite alone and unannounced at St. Vincent's door. She has a plan and begs him to hear her out. She offers him the chance for the fortunes he so desperately needs and he offers her freedom and the chance to escape her family.

They set off for Gretna Green with no delay. When they come back, Evangeline finds the father she rarely sees dying. She rushes to his side to nurse him.

He owns a gambling house which St. Vincent takes over. Together they two of them must decide their relationship, their lives, and if they will change.

My Thoughts: I have mixed thoughts, I liked this book, but it took me a while to come around to St. Vincent (the horrible man from It Happened One Autumn). Thus, I didn't like this one was much as the previous two, but I did still enjoy it. I loved Evangeline standing up for herself and changing her life and living by her rules. I loved how the relationships with the Wallflowers struggled a bit. I wish we could have seen more interactions between the four girls. All in all, I'm curious to see what comes next for the friends in Scandal in Spring and then Wallflower Christmas!

Cover Thoughts: Peaceful and wonderful.

Source: my library

No comments: