Friday, December 21, 2012

Review: Scent of Magic

* Sequel to Touch of Power *

SPOILERS ahead if you haven't read the first book!

Avry's the last Healer in the realm - a realm that's on the brink of war. She knows she's going to be needed when the time comes, but she also has personal missions - one that includes finding her sister again.

Avry and Kerrick split up on different quests. Kerrick reunited with Prince Ryne to determine how to fight King Tohon. Avry runs into trouble and her plans change. Instead of heading away from danger, she goes directly toward the woman who wants her dead. She hides in the army camp, under disguise, and begins to train the soldiers to move silently in the woods.

The army leaders do not believing the truth about King Tohon and his horrible soldiers. Avry wants to help out the realm as best she can without revealing her true identity. Her past can't remain a secret forever, and when it comes out, everything will change. Can the two sides come together to fight against King Tohon?

My Thoughts: I'm a HUGE fan of Maria V. Snyder. Her books are enchanting. I devour them, loving the action, the danger, and the romance. I love the secondary characters. They have a great sense of loyalty and affection between them. The banter provides comic relief from the serious nature of the book. I love Avry and her abilities. I like watching her learn more about herself and her magic as she tries to understand what she can do and how to go about saving the world. I love Kerrick. His power is unique, but impressive. I enjoyed the dual perspectives of this book, which is different from Snyder's previous books. Overall, a fantastic read. I can't wait to read what happens next!

Cover Thoughts: Great
Source: Netgalley

No comments: