Thursday, February 6, 2014

Adult Review: Union Street Bakery

When Daisy was 3, her mother left her at a bakery and never looked back. The McCrae's who owned the bakery, adopted her.

Thirty years later, Daisy's back working at the bakery after having lost her job, her apartment, and her boyfriend. While she doesn't mind helping out her family, a part of her feels left out and missing.

When an old family friend passes away, she leaves Daisy an journal from the 1850s. Confused, Daisy enlists the help of her historian sister, Margaret.
The two sisters make a startling discovery about history, their lives, and their family.  With this news, perhaps Daisy can find the confidence and the courage she needs to take charge of her life again.
My Thoughts: Although a slow building novel, I was sucked in. I felt bad for Daisy losing her way, for feeling like an outsider in her family, and for her abandonment issues.  I liked her interactions with Rachel - both the sweet and the bad tempered ones. I liked her snarky interactions with Margaret and love them working together in the historical research. I liked how Daisy came in and took control of the books and started to turn things around. I would hate for the family to lose the bakery that's been in their family for generations. I loved the parts in the bakery especially the making of the treats. I'm so looking forward to more in this series and learning more about this family.

Cover Thoughts: Love it
Source: My Library

No comments: