Friday, March 14, 2014

Women's History Month Read: When Audrey Met Alice


Audrey feels trapped in the White House because of all the rules. Not only did she have to move away from her friends, but now she rarely sees her parents anymore. Audrey meets lonely, especially since she's having such a hard time making new friends.

One night, Audrey finds a secret hiding place in a closet - where she discovers the diary of Alice Roosevelt.  Alice also feels confined with all the rules of her father's position and society.  Alice loves shocking people and seeing how far she can push boundaries.  Audrey starts using Alice's diary as a tool for getting her ideas across and getting herself noticed.

Most of these ideas backfire, laving Audrey in more trouble with the White House staff, the newspapers, and more importantly her parents. Can Audrey find freedom and fun?
My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book - for both the contemporary and the historical parts. I loved reading Alice's diary - her shocking tales, her adventures, and how she tried to be helpful. I thought Audrey imitating her ideas where cute, but sometimes ill advised. I felt bad for Audrey being torn away from her life and her friends and then forced to figure out if anyone likes her for herself or for her parents. I don't think I would like to live in the White House, but it would be a cool place to spend the night. A great book about two strong characters both trying to find their place in the world.

Cover Thoughts: Cute
Source: My Library

No comments: