Friday, October 30, 2015

Review: Dumplin'

Willowdean's is fat, but she's also comfortable in her own skin. Over the summer, she begins to drift away from her best friend and she starts hooking up with a boy. As the summer winds down, she learns that Bo isn't going back to his private school, he's going to her school.

Immediately she stops seeing him so gossip about them doesn't run wild. She doesn't like this new side of herself -she does the only thing she can think of - enrolls in the Miss Clover City beauty pageant.

Her mother lives for pageant season and Willowdean entering is just one more thing they fight about. But Willowdean isn't giving up. She's making a stand, along with a few other outcasts who decide to join her. Can Willowdean gain back her confidence?
My Thoughts: I Loved Willowdean. She had an honest outlook on life and she wasn't afraid to share her opinions. I'm glad that other girls followed her lead and entered the pageant - I loved getting to know them. I loved the moments between Willowdean and her mother - how they didn't understand each other, how they tried to  communicate, how they each saw food and body image, and how finally they saw each other. I loved the relationships in the book from the friendships to the family drama to the romances. I liked the romances. I really liked Bo - especially the red lollipop gestures, those were sweet. I Loved that the ending was realistic and something that could help (not something from the movies). This book took me on a roller coaster of emotions and I couldn't put the book down. A fantastic inspiring read.

Cover Thoughts: Perfect
Source My library
Final Thoughts: Everyone raved about this book - and they were totally right. Get yourself a copy and devour it!

No comments: