Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Tween Tuesday Review: The Girl Who Could Not Dream

Sophie lives above a hidden shop. Her family owns a bookstore but below the bookstore lies a dream shop. Special people can purchase and sell dreams. Sophie helps out her parents, but she actually can not dream.

One morning, she comes downstairs without checking the calendar. Sophie and Monster (her best friend who came to life from a dream) come down stairs and find a man in the bookstore. The man pretends not to notice, but he does ask several questions. Sophie's parents freak out and with good reason.

When Sophie comes home from school, the bookstore and her home are trashed and her parents are missing. Sophie isn't sure what to do, but she knows that she must do something. Should she trust her new friend with her secret in hopes that he might be able to help?
My Thoughts: I really loved this book. I loved the cozy bookstore and learning about the dream shop underneath the store. I really loved Monster - he was funny, quirky, and very loyal. I loved his admiration for cupcakes.  I liked Sophie branching out of her shell with the dream catchers and even finding friends. I really liked Ethan and how he didn't care that Sophie was weird - he just liked spending time with her. I liked how Sophie dealt with Madison - who wasn't the same as Ethan. She didn't want people knowing about their relationship. But I like how she changed over the book. The bravery the characters showed shone through, along with their determination. Mr. Nightmare was scary and downright creepy. The ending is sweet and heartwarming.

Cover Thoughts: I like it now that I've read the book but before reading it seemed really strange
Source: BEA Arc

Final Thoughts: Charming friendships, dangerous dreams, a creepy villain, and a secret mix together to make a perfect middle grade fantasy read. Run out to the library or bookstore to request this book today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds adorable! I love the title and premise...stories about dreams and our strange relationships with them are my absolute favorite. Monster would be the perfect sidekick, and it sounds like she's got some good human company to boot! Bookshops are one of my favorite places in real life, so it's no surprise I love them in fiction too. Thanks for letting me know about this one :)

Jill the OWL said...

I just received a copy of this one. I thought it looked cute too and perfect for middle schoolers. Thanks for the review!