Friday, February 12, 2016

About Me: Crafting


One of my resolutions this year (and to be honest almost every year) is to talk more about myself on the blog. Me in a nutshell: I'm a Librarian. I'm a blogger. I'm a reader. Here's a little bit about me outside the bookish world.

I've always been crafty - partly because it's fun and partly because I love homemade items. I like giving them as gifts and receiving them.

I started knitting in high school - I thought I would knit a scarf for a boyfriend for a present - we didn't last that long. But the knitting took. I only knit baby blankets and scarves but someday hope to include hats and sweaters. I knit most nights while I'm watching TV, it keeps my hands busy. I give a lot of them away at Thanksgiving to charities who make up Christmas baskets. Recently I found out about Knit Your Bit, who donates scarves to Veterans. Last year I boxed up 18 (all I could fit in the box) and sent those along. I like to make a difference where I can.

In my adult life, my college best friend introduced me to jewelry making. And I became hooked. I spent hours making necklaces - some great and some not so great. Then I moved on to earrings. Now I dabble with necklaces, earrings, charm  bracelets, and pendants. I love finding new ways to make jewelry. Jewelry making is perfect for gift giving because each piece is made with love.

I also started making cards. I send out a lot of cards for Christmas and I remember thinking that I should start making them instead of buying them. From then on, I was hooked. I now send out Christmas, Valentine, and Halloween cards for the holidays. Birthday cards, thinking of you cards, and special occasion cards are also fun to create. The only cards I don't create is sympathy cards, because I never know what say inside.

The box of cards:

I dabble in making soaps and spa scrubs. The scents combine to make the house smell wonderful.

I just purchased a sewing machine. I haven't worked on it yet, but it's waiting for me. I'll probably try making a few gifts for Christmas this year.

Of course, I'm addicted to Pinterest. I have boards filled with ideas.

During my years a Teen Librarian, I had an outlet for crafts. Everything I wanted to try out, I did as a program. Teens loved it and I loved it. Since I left the library, I've missed it. So I decided to start up my own Etsy shop. It's not big but it's a little something.

If you're on Etsy - would you take a look and maybe favorite an item if you find one you like? I would appreciate it!


1 comment:

Jessica said...

I love crafting, too! I've tried knitting (My Mom and I tried to learn at the same time.), but I have never been able to figure it out very well. I love making cards, though! (The pictures of the cards you make are pretty!) And jewelry! My favorite is bracelets, but I like necklaces, too! My favorite thing to make, though? Wreaths! I love making them! :)