Friday, March 25, 2016

About Me: Candy

One of my resolutions this year (and to be honest almost every year) is to talk more about myself on the blog. Me in a nutshell: I'm a Librarian. I'm a blogger. I'm a reader. Here's a little bit about me outside the bookish world.

Like my father and my grandfather, I have a sweet tooth. I'm a bit of a candy freak.

Earlier this week, I was leading a book club on the book Candymakers (which is a fabulous book and made my mouth water while reading it). We were talking about candy we liked and candy we didn't like. While I LOVE candy, there are certain kinds I don't enjoy which made me think of this list.

Of course I'm picky about everything I eat and candy is no exception.

I'm a strictly dark chocolate lover. It's hard for me to enjoy milk chocolate or white chocolate anymore, unless it's in say a Snickers bar or peanut butter cup.

I love gummy candy, fruit slices, SPKs, mounds bars, Reeses pieces, Flavored M&Ms (dark chocolate, peanut, and peanut butter). I love truffles.

But I don't love black licorice, really sour candy, taffy or anything that will stick to my teeth, I like soft caramel, but not hard caramel.

When I was a kid, I loved going to my great-aunt's house because she had a candy drawer filled with various types of candy and I was allowed to take anything I wanted. I thought it was the best thing ever and swore that I would have one too when I was old enough.

I don't have a favorite kind of candy, because it always changes. I'm a seasonal candy eater. I love jelly beans around Easter. I love dark chocolate covered marshmallow eggs around Easter. I like a few candy corn in the fall. I like mint candies around Christmas.

I feel better when there's candy in the house; when it's not I tend to feel cranky. I like a little something sweet after lunch and dinner. It doesn't have to be big, just a little something will do.

Of course I like to make candy too. I make it usually for Christmas - various types of truffles. Last year I tried my own Mounds bars, which went over really well. My Pinterest page has lots of recipes that I'm looking forward to testing out.

Are you a candy lover too? Do you have a favorite kind or are you more like me?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Anything peanut butter and chocolate is my weakness. The best is the Reese's egg, so this time of year is dangerous for me!

Jessica said...

I love almost all kinds of candy! I love dark chocolate a lot!(The Ghirardelli mini dark chocolate squares are so good!) I love gummy worms, M&Ms, Trix bars, Reeses cups, Three Musketeers bars, Hershey, and Dove bars a lot, too! Anything chocolate is my favorite, though! :)

Karen McCoy said...

Yes. Definite sweet tooth here! I carpet-bombed my body with sugar in my early twenties, and now am on a somewhat restricted diet in my 30s. Creme brulee and chocolate mousse are still my weaknesses though...