Monday, March 21, 2016

Mini Review: Dark Days Club

 * Start of a new series *
Lady Helen will be presented to the Queen. She hopes that it goes well. Her family hopes that the Queen will not bring up her traitorous mother, and that her daughter will not suffer from the connection. The presentation goes well, despite the mysterious moment between the Queen and Lady Helen about her mother.

Strange things start happening around Lady Helen. A maid goes missing from their household. She draws the attention of a Lord with a disreputable reputation who claims a distant family connection. He tells her the world is full of demons and she's a demon hunter - just like her mother.

Lady Helen isn't sure what to believe, but once she witnesses a demon attack, her life will never be the same.  She searches for answers and understanding while trying to figure out how this will change her life.
My Thoughts: I didn't realize this was the start of a series - until the ending. And that left me disappointed. Why? Well - for one thing, the book was just shy of 500 pages. There was no real ending - just a new path for the main character.

There were so many questions left unanswered - I assume these will be addressed in the next book, but they were important questions. 

That's not to say I didn't like the book, because I did. It just took me a long time to read and I was frustrated at the end to learn there was more to the story and that big questions hadn't really been answered. 

I liked the heroine - even though she sometimes made poor choices given her circumstances. I loved the time period. I loved Lady Helen's relationship with her maid Darby. I didn't like her relationship with her brother. I love the combination of Regency with paranormal; it was well done. I'm looking forward to the next book (and those answers)

Cover Thoughts: Fantastic
Source: My Library

1 comment:

Geraldine @ Corralling Books said...

Mm yes, I think I get what you feel! For me, it felt like The Dark Days Club was like a prequel of sorts? Because it did a good job at explaining the world, but there wasn't too much of a story for me. It was quite slow at first for me, but after the first 30% I started to be more interested in the story - I'm glad you liked it and you're looking forward to the next book!
Geraldine @ Corralling Books