Sunday, May 15, 2016

Transitioning Librarian Jobs from YA to Children's and YA

Roughly two months ago, I went back to the librarian world full time. Being a teen librarian for just shy of eleven years is great. But working with kids made me realize I need to make some changes.

So I started:

Checking out the books:
I started reading the picture book collection. I've always read pictures books, but mostly the newer books that I heard about on Twitter or librarian previews or seen in publishing journals.  But now I'm reading to know the collection.

The picture book collection is broken up into categories. I started taking about 20 to 40 books a week. I would read them and start looking at them in a different light. Is this book good for story time? Will the kids like it? Is it too long for them? Are there a few other books that I love that touch on this theme?

A few recent favorites:

Mouse's First Night at Moonlight School by Simon PuttockWhen a Dragon Moves In Again by Jodi MooreRufus the Writer by Elizabeth BramElla and Penguin Stick Together by Megan MaynorElizabeth Started All the Trouble by Doreen Rappaport
Bathtime with Theo and Beau by Jessica ShybaBloom by Doreen CroninBefore I Leave by Jessixa BagleyThe Kid from Diamond Street by Audrey VernickBilly and Goat at the State Fair by Dan Yaccarino

But lately I've also been reading graphic novels. My co-worker is really knowledgeable. So we talk about them. Then I check out a ton of graphic novels.

A few recent favorites:

Archie, Vol. 1 by Mark WaidLumberjanes, Vol. 1 by Noelle StevensonCleopatra in Space, Book Two by Mike MaihackPrinceless, Vol. 2 by Jeremy WhitleyGotham Academy, Vol. 2 by Becky Cloonan

 And then I read some and feel a little stressed about having too many checked out and not enough time to read them (I'm a book hoarder.) Plus the number of books I've read this year has skyrocketed.

Story Time:
I'm starting this up in the fall with 4 and 5 year olds. I'm starting to think about it and I've read some literature. I've gone to visit some story times and will do a few more. Once summer starts, I'll start planning some sessions and play around with more ideas.

Programs:
We have story time programs throughout the week, a sensory table on Fridays, and a gaming club for elementary kids. But I want more. I started doing weekly drop in craft nights.They haven't gone over well yet, but I'm hoping that summer reading will jump start that and they will continue in the fall.

I want to do cooking programs. I love food. So I'm looking for start this up in the fall for older elementary kids.

I have a few Pinterest boards filled with ideas, so I'll start working through those and seeing what works.

Goals:
I have a lot of goals, but I want to start off a little slowly and work them in gradually. I've started a few and now I need to focus on summer. Then I'll start up again in the fall.

For me it's all about playing with the books and seeing how everything works together. As you can see, I'm happy to be back in the librarian world.

I know that what works in some libraries won't necessarily work in my library, but I would welcome other bits of advice on the transition in the comments!

No comments: