Friday, June 3, 2016

Review: When We Collided

Vivi meets Jonah - life changes for both of them. Vivi wants to be free and loved. She finds comfort in Jonah's messy family.

Jonah wants to be normal again, after his father's death left a huge whole in his life. He's helping pick up the pieces, but he's sacred to tell anyone the truth about his family life.

They find strength in each other, finding each other at just the right time.
My Thoughts: I loved this book. It's the story of how one summer changed two people forever. I loved that this book wasn't a romance. Life wasn't perfect for either of them. Vivi is bipolar and in the beginning scene, she decides to stop taking her medication. That decision influences everything. Jonah's grief is eating at him, but his mother shutting down in her grief is almost unbearable. It leaves him and his brother to pick up the slack. The responsibility eats away at him, he's not certain of anything, but he's reaching his breaking point. Vivi is a breathe of fresh air for him. They have adventures and share secrets. I love that everything isn't easy, that they have really big problems but find each other anyways.
I adored Jonah's younger siblings. They added humor to the story.
I loved the dual perspectives.
I loved the bookish references

Cover Thoughts: Love it
Source: My Library
Final Thoughts: A messy look at summer complied with grief and mental illness in an emotional powerhouse of a book. Read this one! 

No comments: