Thursday, April 19, 2018

Middle Grade Review: The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street

The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street
The Vanderbeekers have the worst Christmas ahead of them; their lease hasn't been renewed. They have to move out of their apartment before the end of the year. The five siblings (Jessie and Isa - the twins, Oliver, Hyacinth, and Laney) are devastated. They Love their home and can't imagine living anywhere else. But they have a plan to save their home - lots of plans actually. Can they convince cranky old Mr. Beiderman to change his mind?

My Thoughts: I LOVED this book. The siblings are adorable and unique. I enjoyed the twins' story and how they're growing up and a little bit apart but still together. I loved Laney and her affectionate heart, her bunny, and her enthusiasm. I loved bookish Oliver who loves basketball. I loved crafty Hyacinth. I loved their thoughtful creative ways to make Mr. Beiderman change his mind - even if they didn't always go as planned. Most of all, I loved the sense of community within the book. It would be amazing to live in a place like that. I oved reading about the cookies - they made my mouth water. I can't wait for the next book!

Cover Thoughts: Adorable
Source: My Library
Sequel: Coming out September 25th
Library Recommendation: A must have for public and school libraries.

No comments: